Abandoned and Betrayed by God
ARE YOU EXPERIENCING A "DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL"?
- Do you feel like God has abandoned you? Is his silence deafening? His inaction hurtful?
- Are you simmering with resentment because it seems like he has betrayed you?
- Do you feel alone, alienated from other Christians? Do they simply not understand? Do they change the subject? Offer mushy platitudes? Sting you with spiritual judgments?
- Do you desperately want to reconnect with God?
Abandoned and Betrayed by God shares effective steps many have taken to rebuild their relationship with God. In this book, Dr. Stout grapples with knotty faith issues in his own and others' lives. With raw honesty, he shares his personal faith story, and offers practical steps that he and many others have taken to survive and rebuild from the fierce storms of a faith crisis.
AVAILABLE IN PRINT AND EBOOK FORMATS
What do you do when a cherished dream, one that you were certain God had ordained, lies at your feet in pieces? A divorce that happens despite fervent prayer, a ministry that was absolutely God inspired … or so you thought? A once-healthy body now under the power of cancer, diabetes or the like? How do you resolve the apparent and obvious conclusion that God has simply failed you? Folks that have found themselves in this kind of circumstance often find the Church is of little or no comfort. “Abandoned & Betrayed” takes a hard look at dealing with faith when there is little left in which to have faith. It offers a step-by-step means of handling the crushing disappointment, the loss of faith, and then provides avenues to re-establish and renew a close—even closer—relationship with God. Jim Stout has had the courage to address issues often avoided and provides an amazing tool to help those struggling with the ‘dark days of the soul’.
This book is an important exploration of the spiritual fallout of “crushed hopes.” In the book he describes his “religious meltdown," how he dealt with the perception that God had abandoned him. This book is a lament to God as well as a road map showing how he overcame a dark night of the soul.
—Karen Mason, Ph.D., L.P.C.
Professor of Counseling and Psychology
Director of the Hamilton Counseling Program
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
Well written and helpful. What sets Jim’s books apart is that he provides simple practical action steps that, if followed, will lead to a positive outcome.
This book provides the necessary coping techniques when life throws you a curve ball or you are experiencing a faith in God crisis. It reminds you that God is with you through thick and thin and that He has a plan for you if you believe in Him.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
PART ONE — EXPERIENCING A CRISIS OF FAITH
1. An Honest Look at Christian Life
2. My Own Crisis of Faith
3. The Spiritual Consequences of My Crisis
4. Emotional Distress Leads to a New Perspective
5. Lessons I’ve Learned from My Faith Crisis
6. Benefits I’ve Gained from My Religious Meltdown
PART TWO — GUIDELINES FOR SURVIVING A CRISIS OF FAITH
1. Realize That Many Past Heroes Endured Faith Crises
2. Know That You’re Not Alone—Faith Crises Are Still Common
3. Allow Yourself to Grieve
4. Come to Terms with Your Losses
5. Reach Out to Others for Support
6. Pray However and Whenever You Can
7. Think Rationally and Logically, Not Just Spiritually
8. Seek New Perspective from the Bible and Other Sources
9. Expand Your Understanding of God and How He Works 103
10. Keep a Positive Attitude
11. Believe God Wants to Help You
12. Find New Hope
13. Surrender to God
14. Review and Revise Your Life Goals Frequently
15. Keep Moving Forward